According to Caritas Internationalis “Partnership Guiding Principles”: “Our goal is to help people develop and realize their full potential so that they can control and effectively use their local resources to meet their own needs. Through integral human development and empowerment we want to promote active and powerful local communities with members playing a significant role in civil society. We recognize the important place the local Church has as an actor in civil society”.
The broad definition ‘Development’ has got one very significant aspect – improvement by the process identified in space and in time. Development activities for target groups might be really ‘development’ only if these target groups are participating in the process. Caritas Georgia has got the endorsement of this during the work with rural Communities through the program of Development of Communities and Individuals.
The participation in Development activities in the Communities gives people the new self-deliberation as citizens responsible for their own welfare and brings them to deep understanding of the fact that “Nobody can solve your problem better than you can”.
Under the program Development of Communities and Individuals is implementing the following projects:
- Sustainable Reintegration after Voluntary Return
- Vocational Studies of Youth in Caritas Georgia Carpentry
- Parish Social Ministries (PSM)
- Formative Meetings
1. The work with Communities Caritas Georgia initiated in 2002 and the first large-scaled Development program accomplished with active participation of rural Communities was“Rehabilitation of Water-supply through Community Mobilisation in the villages of Samtskhe-Javakheti area” launched in early 2003. The II Phase Program was lasted up to autumn 2009.
2. In 2005 Caritas Georgia launched the project “Stabilization of economic situation of Georgian citizens and Prevention of Migration”. Project continued up to 2007.
3. In 2008 Caritas Georgia launched the project “Promotion of Civic Participation and Development of Local Self-government Capacities in Samtskhe-Javakheti”. The first Phase of the Project was accomplished in 2008-2009. The II phase of the project was launched in 2010.
4. In 2008 Caritas Georgia launched the project “Enhancing of effectiveness of small peasants economy in Georgia”. The first Phase of the Project was accomplished in 2008-2009. The II phase of the project was launched in 2010.