“Given the challenges and contradictions of our time, Caritas has the difficult – but fundamental – task of making sure charitable service becomes everyone’s task; that is, the whole Christian community becomes the subject of charity”.
~ Pope Francis
Drawing its inspiration from the Gospel, the Church’s Social teaching and the experiences and hopes of people in need, Caritas Georgia is working for the “civilization of love” in the Georgian society and striving to achieve:
- the human dignity and the fundamental rights of every child, woman and man are protected and respected;
- peace, freedom, justice, mercy and solidarity are valued and promoted;
- the common wellness prevails over individual interests;
- disadvantaged persons are empowered to develop their potential towards building a better society;
- the natural environment is respected.
Our mission is to serve the poor in Georgia and to promote charity, social justice and human development, in accordance with Christian values, respecting the dignity of every human being.
To fulfil this mission, Caritas Georgia:
- adheres to the guiding values and principles of Caritas Internationalis and Caritas Europa;
- raises public awareness of poverty and injustice and its causes;
- establishes cooperation with Churches, Church-based and secular organizations in the field of diaconal, developmental and social work in order to address issues of poverty and social injustice;
- designs and implements activities which enable the poor to become agents for change;
- strives to provide an example of inter-human, inter-cultural and inter-confessional relations; commits itself to on-going institutional development by integrating learning and capacity building into all organizational processes.
Improvement of Quality of Life and Social reintegration of Vulnerable Groups of Population and People with Special Needs through Essential Social/Medical Assistance, Psycho-social Rehabilitation and Development of Quality of Medical Education.
GOAL 1: To ensure essential social and preventive medical assistance for marginalized elderly and other disadvantaged groups of population.
GOAL 2: Contribution to the development of nursing education.
GOAL 3: Advocacy and Lobbying.
GOAL 4: Development of paid services.
Social Assistance and Integration for Vulnerable Children and Adolescents in society.
GOAL 1: To provide the vulnerable children and youth with safe environment and ensure their basic needs.
GOAL 2: To ensure that youth and children receive intellectual and spiritual development and preparation for independent life.
GOAL 3: To facilitate the formation of adequate environment and legislative background for improving the childcare system in Georgia.
Development activities for target groups improving their livelihoods, preventing families and individuals from economic migration and strengthening social ministries of Caritas at Parish level.
GOAL 1: To foster the sustainable development of Local Communities through civic participation in practical activities for the welfare of their members.
GOAL 2: To work towards preventing Georgian families and individuals – potential economic migrants – from migration to other countries, from being victims of trafficking and to support vulnerable returning migrants.
GOAL 3: Animation and Strengthening of Social Ministries by Parish Caritas Groups in Catholic Communities of all three Rites in Georgia (Latin, Armenian and Assyrian-Chaldean).
Humanitarian and Rehabilitation Aid – represents the first priority in the work of Caritas Organizations all over the world. However, the issue of Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and preparedness towards emergencies and their impact on people and infrastructure, originated comparatively recently at the background of damaged ecology and Climate Change phenomenon, becomes more and more demanding issue at the Local and International level.
GOAL 1: To ensure all-set preparedness of Caritas Emergency Response Team in the event of any kind of calamity: natural disaster, war, accidents of the national-wide scale.
GOAL 2: To cooperate closely with the State Ministry of Internal Affairs’ Service on Emergency Situations and Civil Affairs, International and Local Relief Organizations in emergency situations as well as in routine times.
GOAL 3: To ensure close cooperation with Caritas Internationalis Emergency Team and Caritas Europe Emergency Department in case of medium- and/or large-scale emergency in Georgia at all stages of emergency response.
GOAL 4: Enhance the targeted Communities to be resilient to natural disasters caused by climate change and/or other and to reduce the negative impact they impose on the human and economic development of these communities.
Financing of the plan
The Strategic Plan will be financed through different fundraising activities:
- Participation in calls for funding and submitting unsolicited projects to partner organizations: grants will be acquired from different international and local donors. Every programmatic department will be responsible for developing new project proposals and participating in different calls for grants.
- Private donations and crowdfunding: Long Distance Sponsorship program is a coordinated initiative for collecting private donations. On the website of Caritas Georgia will be a “Donation” button for those who would like to make a one-time donation. Guests and visitors of Caritas Georgia can leave donations as well. The private donations will be allocated based on earmarks or the needs of the projects.
- Governmental funding: Caritas Georgia works with government on social protection and there are programs that it partially fund.
- Income generating activities: another income generation source for Caritas Georgia is the social enterprises that are developed to invest in the social goals of the organization. The income generated by these enterprises and paid services of Caritas Georgia will be invested back into the mission of the organization.